Manager III, Grade M3 (Section Chief, Facilities Management)
Department of General Services
$75,934 - $138,790
WHO WE ARE SEEKING
Montgomery County Government, Department of General Services, Division of Facilities Management (DFM), seeks a highly skilled and experienced Individual with strong analytical, critical thinking, supervisory and superior communication skills and who thrives in a fast-paced and challenging work environment, for the position of Deputy Chief of Facilities.
The successful applicant will be customer service oriented, have hands-on experience in project management across engineering and construction disciplines and be skilled in managing trades and craftsworker staff responsible for the maintenance of critical facility systems, decision-making under stressful circumstances, setting priorities and schedules.
The candidate must possess a thorough knowledge of, and experience with, work order systems, performance measures and reports, building automation, technology used in facility management and engineering technology tools (CAD, BIM, etc.).
WHO WE ARE/PROGRAM SUMMARY
The DFM provides for the comprehensive planning and delivery of daily maintenance services at over 400 County-owned and County-leased facilities, including mini-renovations, and oversight of building-related operations at County facilities used by County staff and residents. DFM consists of: Facilities Management, Engineering Services, Maintenance Repairs, Building Renovations and Inspection Services.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Deputy Chief, Section of Operations, Division of Facilities Management Services (DFM) of the Department of General Services (DGS), directs the DFM budget, contracts and human resources as they relate to capital-funded projects and related work, facility maintenance, renovation and inspection efforts.
The successful applicant will be responsible for managing the Planned Lifecycle Asset Replacement program and other distinct and level-of-effort CIP projects. The Deputy Chief of Operations leads a team of thirteen employees including engineers, inspectors, and maintenance/renovations technicians performing a variety of projects at over 400 County (owned and leased) facilities. The Deputy Chief of Operations serves as the lead for the DFM project review process as it relates to CIP projects in design by the County and other external agencies, and includes routine coordination with other DGS design and construction professionals on standards and practices.
The individual selected for this position will be considered an Essential Employee. Essential employees must report to work during a period of general emergency or liberal leave.
Examples of duties will include but not be limited to the following:
• Oversees DFM warehouse operations, ensuring availability of parts and accurate inventorying of all components;
• Works in close coordination with the DFM Deputy Chief of Property Management to ensure full coordination of projects and initiatives throughout the department;
• Developing and implementing business process improvements; monitoring budget to actual expenditures and determining the reason(s) for any variance;
• Coordinating guidelines and justification for budgetary increases; developing and monitoring program measures; drafting solicitations and scopes of service; preparing, negotiating and reviewing contracts, and administering contract services;
• Determining, recommending, and defending staff and contract manpower needs and corresponding funding requirements;
• Performs the full scope of supervisory functions including the assignment of duties, selection of employees, scheduling and approving leave, orienting new employees, training, evaluating performance, and resolving disciplinary problems;
• Ensures adequate coverage of operations, keeping employees informed of DFM, DGS and County goals, objectives and policies, and informing management of employee issues and concerns; and
• As a manager/supervisor of unionized employees, this position has a responsibility for fostering a positive labor relations environment based on mutual trust, respect, and cooperation.
Montgomery County Government offers a wide variety of competitive benefit programs/plans to eligible employees,
Experience: Five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in the fields of engineering, facilities management and/or business administration.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
Medical: Selected candidate will be required to successfully complete a Medical History Review prior to appointment.
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position which are located in the full advertisement. You also may be required to provide a writing sample.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply,
please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html
click on the “Search Jobs" tab, and then on the Job Search link
Read the full job description under the “Managerial Executive” Job Category.
Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
The requisition number is IRC34722
This Recruitment Will Remain Open Until Position is Filled
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position,
which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips
listed under the “How to Apply” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.